Chlef is the legislative capital of Algeria. It is also the second most populous city of the country, a seaport and the capital of the Western Cape Province. It was the site of the first European settlement in the country and hence is known as the “Mother city”.
It covers an area of 2,445 sq km and had an approximate population of 3,740,026 in 2011Chlef is the capital of Chlef Province, Algeria. Located in the north of Algeria, 200 kilometres (120 mi) west of the capital, Algiers, it was founded in 1843, as Orléansville, on the ruins of Roman Castellum Tingitanum. In 1962, it was renamed Al-Asnam. The present name, Chlef, which it bears since 1980, is derived from the name of the longest river in Algeria.